Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Potcheen KILLED IT The Young Dubs not so much @Reno Knitting Factory

Okay before I begin to talk about how the bands played, I have to say the Reno Knitting Factory is the best small venue I have ever seen. I am under the age of 21 so I didn't see it all, but my dad really liked the 21+ balcony and restrooms. As for me, I enjoyed the All Ages seating and the all ages restrooms were, well CLEAN, you wouldn't expect all ages restrooms to be so clean, but they were. The only cons with the club were, the fact that when the lady at the door X'd my hands she pushed down really hard and it hurt, and the merch area for the bands was WAY to small.

Now we can talk about how the bands played..,

Potcheen the opening band for The Young Dubliners, had a great set, they played their own material, some old Irish folk songs, and some great covers of Come On Eileen, Drunken Lullabys, and Folsom Prison Blues. The covers they did were great, Come On Eileen really showed off the "fiddle" players talent, Drunken Lullabys got the crowd moving, and Folsom Prison Blues was even good, I thought they were gonna get booed off the stage instead they pulled off that Johnny Cash classic with a chick singer no less (she did really good by the way). Also I liked that the drummer could also sing, he was awesome as was everyone in this band. I really want Potcheen to come back to Reno, I think they deserve top billing next time they do.

Then there was the Young Dubs performance, while I'll be the first to admit that I am not the biggest fan of Irish folk style music, The Young Dubs set was boring. No energy until the last song, the folk songs they played that I KNEW were butchered, and in some cases they just sang the chorus over and over and over again. It was such a let down because Potcheen did so well, it got your hopes down to hear a boring set from the opening band. I heard someone say "What a shame" and then walk out during the Young Dubliners set, as a matter of fact I saw 50% of the crowd walk out. I will give them props for doing good on encore, but overall the Young Dubs were just boring.

I would love for Potcheen to come back to Reno, I really would, and I am sending this to their email in hopes that they read my plea. Everyone in Potcheen was nice, and everyone in the band came up to me after the set and said, hi or asked if I was having a good time.

The Reno Knitting Factory Venue website: http://re.knittingfactory.com/
The Young Dubliners Website: http://www.youngdubliners.com/
The Young Dubliners Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/youngdubliners
Potcheens Website: http://www.thepotcheenfolkband.com/
Potcheens Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thepotcheenfolkband

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words about my band, we were honored to tour with the dubs, I have to disagree with you that they were boring,. but im a big fan of theirs. They are precursors and one of several influences of ours. We are just trying to build a better mousetrap which wouldnt be possible without great bands like the Young Dubliners that pioneered and opend the doors for bands like us and as a younger band that doesnt play 6-7 nights a week perhaps we have more energy and get more excited to play.. catch us in 5 years and see if my old bones can hold up as well as theirs :)

    But again thanks and honoring us with your praise and we hope to see you again next time we are in town.
    We will definately be coming back to Reno, we had a grand time at all the cities we visited on this tour and it was the first venture to Reno for us. I was hoping to run into Lt.Dangle and perhaps taze him. hahahaha

    Were finishing up our st.pats celebrations in Denver right now and then we can start scheduling our next West coast tour which will definately include Reno..thanks

    -Christian BLochinger
    Drummer - Potcheen

    ReplyDelete