Thursday, October 21, 2010

Skylarking [1986] (Classic XTC Album Review)

Welcome to my new blog series; Classic Album Reviews! This new series is kind of a way for me to get in touch with older albums, and provide you guys with album reviews...when there isn't a lot coming out! I hope to make this a weekly thing, so I can review 2 new popular albums, 1 newish indie album, and 1 classic album EVERY WEEK! Anyway without further ado lets get on with the review!

XTC is a band I found out about thanks to the They Might Be Giants song XTC Vs Adam Ant. XTC is one of those rare bands that managed to make separate sounding albums. Its like when you hear an XTC song, you know its an XTC song, but you don't hear the same song over and over again. So when choosing a definitive album on which to review, it was hard. Though after some thought, one their highest selling and arguably BEST album, Skylarking, was my choice!

I don't know whether I should mention the song writing or not! I mean its Andy Fucking Partridge...the man is pure genius...okay and Colin Moulding he was a genius to...but Andy Partridges songs are the best! The Song writing was amazing, the album is like 2 long songs, that just don't end, in a good way! The Lyrics are a jumbled concept, about the changing of seasons, that then switches to the 2nd side, that is about...I am not quite sure to be honest, its got similar themes...but, its more of a loose concept, which is cool to! The first half is a little more psychedelic while the second half is more poppy!

This is one of the best albums of all time and the music proves it. Very simplistic, guitar and bass, with fantastic well produced synth, and Andy Partridges haunting vocals singing every word! The only problem I have with the music is all the synth sounds very fake, and noticeable. It isn't overly distracting it's just a little quirk with the album! My favorite track off the album is Dear God, even though it didn't appear on the original release, it was a B side to the single grass, but became very popular and well known in the US and UK, and 17 years later in 2001 was put on the remastered version of Skylarking! If I had to name my favorite track on the original record it would be mermaid smile, this trippy pop song that is just beautiful, and is the best example of the Skylarking's awesomeness!

Skylarking is fantastic, if you don't own this record...WHATS WRONG WITH YOU! Go out to a classic record store or a thrift store and get the vinyl if your into records. If you want a CD or Digital download GRAB THE REMASTERED VERSION. 5 out of 5, great record, one of my favorites!

I'll leave you with the video for my favorite track Dear God BTW Sorry for the Subtitles in spanish...it was the best quality of the music video Audio and Videowise!

No comments:

Post a Comment