Thursday, November 4, 2010

Top 25 Punk and Punk Sub Genre albums Part 1 of 5

This is a blog series I have been wanting to do for a long time. I just hadn't heard enough punk music to make an actual opinion on what the best of the best is! These are all my opinions, and if you don't like them, then write your own blog! This includes sub genres, so don't complain about there being Emo, Pop Punk, New Wave, Hardcore, or any of the other sub genres that may appear on this list! The lines of punk spread large, so don't leave a bajillion comments saying "Thats not punk".

25. Start Static by Sugarcult
The track Bouncing off the Walls, initially peaked my interest in this band, after watching American Wedding, but never enough to look up the band until 2008! After discovering Sugarcult, I listened to all their albums and fell in love with Start Static! The tracks Hate Every Beautiful Day, Stuck in America, and Bouncing off the Walls won me over and I still listen to this amazing album when ever I want a pick me up!

24. Energy by Operation Ivy
To look at punk from the Look Out Records days, is to take a look at the beginnings of what would become the Pop Punk explosion of the mid 90s. Well Operation Ivy might not be a name you associate with, the name Tim Armstrong should be...aka the front man for Rancid and The Transplants. Operation Ivy was Tim Armstrong's first band, and they achieved little popularity while they were together, they released some classic punk material on Energy, that would later go on to inspire many punks! The songs Knowledge, Sound System, and Unity are just pure classics and they really set this album apart as an epic!

23. Weight of the World by This Is Hell
Picking this album is going to get me a lot of flack speaking as This Is Hell is a "New Band" and Weight of the World is a "NEW ALBUM". But I don't give a fuck, this is a kick ass album, and it is one of the best hardcore punk albums to come out in like 8 years. The pure energy behind the music, is almost jaw dropping, these guys are amazing! I don't know what else to really say except check out the tracks No one Leaves Unscathed, Bloodlines, and Worship Syndrome!

22. Bleach by Nirvana
Nirvana's first album Bleach, was a very weird pick for me to put on a punk list, but I find this album especially to be extremely inspired by hardcore and pop punk. The sound is very basic, and primitive and very reminiscent of Dead Kennedys. My faves on this one would have to be About a Girl, Negative Creep, and Mr. Moustache [sic].

21. Who We Are by We Are the Union
The first band of the new Ska revival, to really get some popularity. We are the union combines, Emo, Pop Punk, and Ska, to create a match made in heaven! It makes me feel the life that the early and mid 90s ska bands have. Who we are is the album that got me looking into other new ska bands, and it is just wonderful! You Allowance Exceeds My Rent, I am Like John Cusack, and Ourcore are the best tracks on this album!

Next Week I will have my #20-16 on this count down of albums!

No comments:

Post a Comment