Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (My Chemical Romance Album Review)

My Chemical Romance and I have a twisted past, I liked their debut album, a good majority of their sophomore attempt Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, and to a way lesser extent a couple of songs off of The Black Parade. My problem with My Chemical Romance altogether is...the sound they have developed over the years, has devolved from a tightly bound post hardcore sound, into scene kid vomit. We get it, the world is sad blah blah blah, but tell US a story we haven't heard before. Does their new release, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, tell that story I have been waiting for? Lets find out.

This is a concept album, not that you'd know that unless you went to Wikipedia or read the band's blog. The concept is so loose, its hard to believe that it is even a story. The basic premise of the story is that there are these people in a post apocalyptic world that are trying to take down an evil corporation...I liked this story better when it was Resident Evil: Apocalypse. ANYWAY, that is the story, no other explanation given...and the songs SURE AS HELL don't help. They try to keep a cohesive story together, but it just fails. Chalk a terrible concept up with vanilla lyrics, and you get uninteresting results.

Before I rip into the music to bad, let me just say that there are 3 amazing fun songs, that I REALLY REALLY ENJOYED; "Na Na Na", "Party Poison", and "Vampire Money". Those three songs are what is keeping me from HATING this LP altogether. That being said, THE REST OF THIS CD IS GARBAGE. You have the terrible dance theme "Planetary (GO!)", that I wouldn't even subject my worst enemies to. The only song that is more cringe worthy is the Nu Metalesque song "Destroya" that features sing talking, that would make Ke$ha go DAMN. Another track, that is awful is the lead single, "The Only Hope For Me Is You" the beginning of the song shows promise, but quickly sounds like more of the same, that we have heard a MILLION times.

This is really one of those albums, I WAS LOOKING FORWARD to, I really hoped that My Chemical Romance, could release something that could blow my mind. Instead I am left here feeling kind of empty, and wondering why I wasted my time on three good songs, and 12 songs ranging from meh to awful. Really what I recommend here is go on itunes and buy "Na Na Na", "Party Poison", and "Vampire Money" AND SKIP THE REST OF THIS ALBUM. I give, Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, a 2 out of 5.

I will leave you with the video for "Na Na Na"

No comments:

Post a Comment