Monday, June 21, 2010

E3 thoughts:The big stuff

Well, E3 has come and gone, and some big things where dropped. I'm gonna do my personal run down on each one and then an overall. I figure if you want the hard numbers then you can go to any one of the ten bajillion sites with all of that. So here we go.

1.Playstation Move: The Playstation move... I'm starting here so I can get my hatred out early. This thing to me is utterly ridiculous. Microsoft took the idea of motion control and gave it a shot of steroids, Sony literally carbon copied nintendos plan. The problem with the wii to me is the imprecision, and I'm sorry if I don't believe this is a step forward. Sony wants to refine the hardware, sure, but to me this isn't it. The wii thrives on the casual. The games make use of the motion in a way that makes it accesible to average consumers, not gamers. Sony with the ps3 was feeding into the "gamer" market and it did pretty well in recent months with price drops in hardware. This to me they are trying to setup a casual market that nintendo has LOCKED down. The Wii is only gonna get cheaper, and the ps3 isn't gonna be able to win the price race. For casual gamers the decision is going to be based solely on price. The move to me is going to not move units, and therefore it won't have any supported games. I won't be owning one, so in future months don't expect me to review playstation:move based games.

2.The kinectic- Now, as i said above microsoft is taking the idea and improving the tech behind it. This to me has huge potential. Taking away the control from this idea, the motion control idea, is HUGE step forward. We all remember from movies and t.v. the idea of virtual reality and such, and this tech is moving in that direction for home use. The games I'm excited about with motion control implementation (i.e. children of eden) are gonna use this tech in ridiculous ways. This does NOT include all the stuff on the backend side. Navigating menus in the xbox experience stuff looks literally straight out of the Bourne Identity. To me this is a step in the right direction and I'm waiting to see how developers push this for the gamers. Again, xbox costs more then Wii and if developers remember they are developing for GAMERS and not for the casual market I think kinectic will win the war between these two technologys.

3.Lastly the biggest thing out of e3 was DEFINETLY my favorite. The nintendo 3DS. Now this is what excites me the most, but has me the most worried. The nintendo 3ds is the new handheld coming out of the house the shigeru miyamoto built. The top screen is a 3d screen that makes use of.... well and there is the magic folks to be honest. Nintendo is keeping a tight lid on how the top screen works becuase it is the first 3d technology to not require glasses. Thats right folks, a 3d experience without anything between you and the screen. I haven't held it, but everyone that came out of the tech demos agree that it looks sharp and spot on. Now the scary part:the gimmick of 3d. It could be used in very inventive ways that we can't even think of yet (anyone remember when Paper Mario for the wii did the 3d flipping thing? simple yet brilliant), but it could also be used as just another cool thing (most of the Wii at this point rides the gimmick for the gimmicks sake). I am very excited as I always am about nintendo products but.... the Wii bit me hard cause of that so we shall see...

Sorry this came a little late folks, didn't realize I had left it on the editing floor. Soon I'll have my thoughts on some of the games of e3 which you have probably heard tons about already, and also my thoughts on MMOS and the recent Hi-Rez switch for Global Agenda. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment