Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Pretty Reckless' "Light Me Up" album review

This review has been a few days coming, its just I haven't had time since I got this album off of Itunes UK to write a review! Now that I do I can finally give my thoughts on this album...buy it!

Okay maybe that wasn't a good enough review that this album deserves, so as standard to my format lets talk about the song writing. "Light Me Up" doesn't fall for the same traps that most modern rock albums by popular bands fall into (ahem Nickleback and Kings of Leon). Every song's lyrics are very unique, you don't have 10 songs that sound the same (like Nickleback and Kings of Leon), it also features a very creative use of metaphors that don't fall flat (yeah I don't like Nickleback and Kings of Leon so what), and this just pop rock songwriting at its best! Last time I had seen writing this good I'd have to go back to 2008, with Cage The Elephant's debut and I LOVED THAT ALBUM TO DEATH!


How about the music supporting the lyrics? I'd say its better then the lyrics, I am reminded a lot of "Mellon Collie and The Infinite" with the mix of punkish hard rock song rock songs and power ballads that use classical instruments. If there are two song that is the WOW track to this album I'd say they are "Goin' Down" or "Just Tonight" because both show the best this album has to offer! The only song I am not a big fan of is "You", and its only because it sounds like a thrown on acoustic song. AND if I wanted to be knitpicky I could say that "Miss Nothing" and "Goin' Down" is to much power to be put back to back...but that'd be anal!

Normally my last paragraph is giving my final summations, and telling you guys whether this album is good or not...its 5 out of 5 stars...but I feel I need to address some things OTHER reviewers have been saying. I have been hearing a lot of people (mainly kids and 40 year old women) arguing either that front woman Taylor Momsen is the next Courtney Love or Cherie Currie or the opposing side that says she is like neither. I have to agree with the opposing side, SHE IS NOTHING LIKE COURTNEY OR CHERRIE. I mean if I had to compare Momsen to anyone it would be Billy Corgan, Dave Grohl, or to name one female Poe...actually yeah she reminds me a lot of Poe! Another thing I should address before leaving you with a music video, is how some people dislike Nothing left to Lose because it doesn't sound like something that 16 (now 17) year old Momsen could have written...its because I don't think she did, while no official word, this song sounds like it was written by a guy most likely songwriting partner and Pretty Reckless' guitarist Ben Phillips...just wanted to put that out there.

Anyway I'll leave you guys with the video for Miss Nothing (only watchable if you are from the United States) Light Me Up Available in the US September 7th, and Available now in the UK

No comments:

Post a Comment