Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hurley (Weezer Album Review)

Weezer is a band I really love, in fact one of my favorite albums of all time is Pinkerton, and I love everyone of their albums except Make Believe....well until I heard Raditude. Raditude was just awful I hated it, it wasn't the worst album ever it was just so disappointing coming after the instant classic of the Red Album. So when I heard Hurley was going to be release LESS THAN A YEAR after Raditude, you could understand how I would be skeptical about this release. Honestly I thought it was just some contractually obligated thing they had to do for Epitaph like some contract revision that said they had to release their first Epitaph album as fast as possible. After listening to it, I find something special about it, something that makes it better then Raditude and even the Red Album in some regards.
.

The song writing reminds me of the old indie rock Weezer, before they went overtly pop rock. I have nothing against the Pop Rock stuff Weezer has done, I mean I love Maladroit and the Red Album, its just hearing this reminds me of the Green Album, Pinkerton, and the Blue Album. Rivers is back from whatever funk he was in with Raditude, and you can tell this is grade A Weezer song writing at its best. The only problem with any of the writing is on the song "Memories" there is a lyric "back when Audioslave was still Rage" its kind of easy to see that this song was not written in the last 4 years, and that it was meant for either Make Believe or Maladroit.

The songs as a whole are honestly just beautiful, taking the style of music from Pinkerton and mixing it with the synth from Maladroit with improved talent, just make pure eargasm. There is not a single song on the album...well except for the cover of "Viva La Vida", but thats because I despise Coldplay. If I had to pick my favorite 5 songs from the album it would probably have to be "Ruling Me", "Unspoken", "Run Away", "Smart Girls", and "Memories".

To close you guys out, Hurley is what Weezer was trying to do with Raditude. It seems to me this is the record Weezer has been trying to make since Maladroit, its just the Label wouldn't let them. I was terrified when I heard Weezer was releasing a new album less than a year after Raditude, fast forward to now, I am excited to hear that Weezer is planning on releasing a new record less than a year after Hurley.

Anyway I will leave you guys with the Video for "Memories" Featuring the boys from Jack Ass 3D

No comments:

Post a Comment