Friday, January 29, 2010

What Is Love (2010) album review

NeverShoutNever! is one of those rare artists, that has cross genre appeal. I know metal heads, hippies, emos, and country fans who love NSN. Why does he have such appeal, to be honest I have to say its because he is an ingenious song writer, with catchy hooks, and an original sound. I haven't been a fan of all the music he releases, but some of its good some of its horrible. With NeverShoutNever!'s first full length release I was excited, but maybe unrightfully so.
The writing on this CD is good, NSN is known for amazing lyrics, and a catchy hooks, and this album provides it. One of my favorite songs on What is Love? is Can't Stand it, one of the most addicting songs ever, with a great hook. The only song I didnt really care for is Sacreligious, I read the lyrics to the song, thought they were a great analisis of Christian faith vs belief, but translated into a song, not so good. I think it would of done better as spoken word.

The melodies are amazing original, and anti corporate. I wish more artists would come up with original sounding music, like this. THIS IS GOOD no GREAT MUSIC, I'd put it up there with the great albums of all time, if it wasn't for one thing.

The CD is 20 minutes long, this should of been an EP not a full album release. I think What Is Love? is so short its not worth the money to buy it. A studio album should be 30 minutes or more to be a full release, I know I bashed Weezer's Raditude's short length but, this is ridiculous. It seems warner wanted to push out this CD before all the songs were written. With the cost of 14 bucks for this, I don't think its worth it. there is not enough content, despite this being an amazing album for it to cost the full amount.

All together this is a great EP, but not a full length studio album, all of the great music does not make up for the very little content you get. I'll leave you guys with the video for the first and self titled single "What is Love?"

What Is Love?

never shout never. | MySpace Music Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment