Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Say Anything (2009) Album Review

I have always been a huge fan of the emo genre so when I read a review about Say Anything (one of my favorite bands) releasing an emo/dance/religious album I wasn't so sure I'd like it, but The album was actually okay. The best way to describe this self title is 1/3 of a good emo album 1/3 of a crappy emo album and 1/3 of I am not to sure what it is. This CD starts off good with strong tracks like Hate Everyone and Fed to Death but slowly gets repetitive, with a lyric in Mara and Me alluding to the fact that they cannot write the same song over again.

Lyrically I will say this is say anythings best album. Its religious, but not preaching, more cathartic than anything. This album is hard to listen to if you pay to close to the lyrics, which are depressing and dark as can be. I will say this, if ...Is a Real Boy was to dark of an album for you to listen to in one sitting don't even go near this self title.

The music behind the lyrics is what kills this album. The same melody repeated and chord progression repeating over and over and over again, with very few changes made. It sounds like every song is ripped off of previous Say Anything albums. It gets so bad I just skipped songs and read the lyrics online.

Overall this album is not Say Anything's best. Strong lyrics and a great concept bogged down by repetitive melody and overt depression keep this from being a buy, I will say that you should go on itunes and buy the first 5 tracks and listen to the rest on myspace. Say Anything's Self Titled gets a 3 out of 5


I'll leave you with the music video for the first single Hate Everyone.


Hate Everyone

Say Anything | MySpace Music Videos

No comments:

Post a Comment